posted 29 Sep 2015, 03:26 by Epping Scouts
updated 4 Oct 2015, 23:07
What is it?
course run by qualified instructors to teach Scouts how to handle a canoe on flatwater
successful completion of the course, Scouts will qualify for a “level
2” flatwater canoe certificate that will allow them to participate in
Canoe expeditions. They will also get a “Blue Anchor” badge which is of
equivalent value as a proficiency badge
When does it run?
courses are run over 2 weekends in term 4 and term 1
1 is non-residential (Scouts do not need to stay overnight) and
covers topics associated with water safety and basic canoe skills.
2 is an overnight canoe expedition where Scouts paddle as patrols to an overnight campsite, then return on the following day
Who can attend?
canoe course is a Scout section activity. Cubs have a separate Canoe qualification
What do I need to be able to do first?
order to ensure safety - Scouts must be able to swim 50 meters without the assistance of a flotation device in order to participate in
What to wear?
- Board shorts and a rash shirt or tee-shirt - be sunsmart
- Water shoes - have to be enclosed, no Crocs or tongs please
- Wide-brimmed hat (very important as the instructors will NOT let you participate without one)
What to bring on the first weekend (you will be instructed on what to pack for the expedition weekend)
- Change of clothes
- Water bottle (full)
- Food - Morning tea, Lunch and Afternoon tea
- $50 fee to be handed to the organisers